Everything Happens for a Reason
I just picked up a book by this title -- I was drawn to it at my fav neighborhood bookshop, and then borrowed it from the library. (I'm loving the library lately -- free books, free movies, free music, and even free computer access when mine's on the fritz -- doesn't get much better!)
My life is good, but I'm in a state of flux right now and am trying to be open to opportunities, and trying to remind myself that those opportunities may present themselves in less than ordinary ways. I do believe that everything happens for a reason, and sometimes that reason is clearer than others. I'm hoping the book will help me clarify some of my thoughts and understanding on the subject.
As a benchmark for me (and I suppose an introduction to anyone reading), some of the flux in my life stems from:
• My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away last summer. Though we were on opposite ends of the country, we were very close. I've always thought I was more like my dad, but in her passing, I see that she's a big part of who I am. She was the one who introduced me to the concept of everything happening for a reason and we had lots of talks about it. She felt strongly that life couldn't end before it was time (though that didn't always make sense to me), and I try to honor that sentiment for her. I feel her around me often, but it's just not the same as being together or talking on the phone. I miss her so damn much. The missing is tough. And of course even a year later, it hits anytime, anywhere... It tends to be brief, and oddly, even though it's painful, there's usually a little beauty mixed in too. That's just like my mom, and me actually, to find that sun creeping through the clouds. (Thanks, Mama.)
• I left my job last spring -- after 12 years of a job I loved, it was time to call it quits. The first 10 years were magical. I loved the people, the projects, the atmosphere, the company -- I was so happy at work, I actually looked forward to Mondays. Then my boss/mentor left. Then her boss/my other mentor left. Then the whole department went to hell. New people were hired, but it was never the same. In fact, it got worse. I began working crazy hours -- evenings, weekends, the occasional all-nighter. But it just wasn't working, and it was time to move on. So I took the summer off (what an amazing concept -- haven't done that since high school!) and am now pulling things together to begin my job search. My resume's pretty much set, but my portfolio needs some work. From what I hear, I need a website to direct people to, and then I'd imagine I need an actual book to present in interviews.
• Then there's the relationship, or lack thereof. I was involved with a great guy for about a year and a half, and though we still adore each other, we realized things just weren't working well enough to stay together. I still love him and I miss him dearly, but it was time to move on. So I'm out there looking... It's entertaining, to say the least. Currently no love connections, but that could change any time now. I love hearing stories of how couples met, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how many of them meet in fluky ways. So at the post office, or a party I hadn't planned on attending, or a flight home to see my family, I try to be open the possibility of love entering my life. I'm confident things will work out just as they should, but also hope that it won't take too long...
There's more to me and my life, but those are the big things for now. I'm curious to see where this book, this blog, and life take me. It's sure to be an adventure!
My life is good, but I'm in a state of flux right now and am trying to be open to opportunities, and trying to remind myself that those opportunities may present themselves in less than ordinary ways. I do believe that everything happens for a reason, and sometimes that reason is clearer than others. I'm hoping the book will help me clarify some of my thoughts and understanding on the subject.
As a benchmark for me (and I suppose an introduction to anyone reading), some of the flux in my life stems from:
• My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away last summer. Though we were on opposite ends of the country, we were very close. I've always thought I was more like my dad, but in her passing, I see that she's a big part of who I am. She was the one who introduced me to the concept of everything happening for a reason and we had lots of talks about it. She felt strongly that life couldn't end before it was time (though that didn't always make sense to me), and I try to honor that sentiment for her. I feel her around me often, but it's just not the same as being together or talking on the phone. I miss her so damn much. The missing is tough. And of course even a year later, it hits anytime, anywhere... It tends to be brief, and oddly, even though it's painful, there's usually a little beauty mixed in too. That's just like my mom, and me actually, to find that sun creeping through the clouds. (Thanks, Mama.)
• I left my job last spring -- after 12 years of a job I loved, it was time to call it quits. The first 10 years were magical. I loved the people, the projects, the atmosphere, the company -- I was so happy at work, I actually looked forward to Mondays. Then my boss/mentor left. Then her boss/my other mentor left. Then the whole department went to hell. New people were hired, but it was never the same. In fact, it got worse. I began working crazy hours -- evenings, weekends, the occasional all-nighter. But it just wasn't working, and it was time to move on. So I took the summer off (what an amazing concept -- haven't done that since high school!) and am now pulling things together to begin my job search. My resume's pretty much set, but my portfolio needs some work. From what I hear, I need a website to direct people to, and then I'd imagine I need an actual book to present in interviews.
• Then there's the relationship, or lack thereof. I was involved with a great guy for about a year and a half, and though we still adore each other, we realized things just weren't working well enough to stay together. I still love him and I miss him dearly, but it was time to move on. So I'm out there looking... It's entertaining, to say the least. Currently no love connections, but that could change any time now. I love hearing stories of how couples met, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how many of them meet in fluky ways. So at the post office, or a party I hadn't planned on attending, or a flight home to see my family, I try to be open the possibility of love entering my life. I'm confident things will work out just as they should, but also hope that it won't take too long...
There's more to me and my life, but those are the big things for now. I'm curious to see where this book, this blog, and life take me. It's sure to be an adventure!


1 Comments:
Thanks for your note, Jenny. It's weird to throw things about myself out into space, knowing others might (or might not!) read them. I really enjoy your and Sizzle's blogs, and as you know, it was your simple request that launched this little endeavor. Here's to a new adventure!
Post a Comment
<< Home