Bye, sweet babe
I still remember the day I met her 12 years ago... I was looking for a cat. I knew I wanted a Siamese, and I was pretty sure I wanted a boy. When the rescue league called to say they had a male that I should meet, I hurried over. Turned out the male they told me about was gone, but they had a female they thought I might like.
She was a tiny ball in the corner of the cage, doing her best to tune out to the three ring circus going on around her. Her name was Precious (uck!), she was a year and a half old, and she wasn't good with children. I held her, hoping to feel a connection of some sort, but she was scared and withdrawn. I doubted that she was the cat for me, but the shelter suggested we try a week or two together. I renamed her Chloe and decided to give it a shot.
Once home, she shot under my dresser. I took food in to her and tried to reach in and pet her, but she refused to budge. Then miraculously two nights later she came out, jumped up on the couch, curled up next to me, and we bonded instantly. No longer sullen and withdrawn, she became a sassy sweetheart and a welcome addition to my life.
Over the last couple years I noticed things changing: she lost her sight, she slowed down a bit, she didn't sit quite as tall as she used to, and recently she began to lose her balance. The last month or so was hard for her, and last night she took a turn for the worse. I think it actually scared her... I know it scared me. The vet and I talked this morning and agreed that her quality of life wasn't what it should be, so after many hugs and tears and scratches behind her ears just like she likes, I said goodbye to my sweet babe. Her passing was swift and peaceful.
I miss her tremendously already and my apartment feels noticeably empty, but I'm relieved to know that she's not scared or in pain.
I love you, Miss Chloe. Thank you for being such a wonderful part of my life. xoxo
She was a tiny ball in the corner of the cage, doing her best to tune out to the three ring circus going on around her. Her name was Precious (uck!), she was a year and a half old, and she wasn't good with children. I held her, hoping to feel a connection of some sort, but she was scared and withdrawn. I doubted that she was the cat for me, but the shelter suggested we try a week or two together. I renamed her Chloe and decided to give it a shot.
Once home, she shot under my dresser. I took food in to her and tried to reach in and pet her, but she refused to budge. Then miraculously two nights later she came out, jumped up on the couch, curled up next to me, and we bonded instantly. No longer sullen and withdrawn, she became a sassy sweetheart and a welcome addition to my life.
Over the last couple years I noticed things changing: she lost her sight, she slowed down a bit, she didn't sit quite as tall as she used to, and recently she began to lose her balance. The last month or so was hard for her, and last night she took a turn for the worse. I think it actually scared her... I know it scared me. The vet and I talked this morning and agreed that her quality of life wasn't what it should be, so after many hugs and tears and scratches behind her ears just like she likes, I said goodbye to my sweet babe. Her passing was swift and peaceful.
I miss her tremendously already and my apartment feels noticeably empty, but I'm relieved to know that she's not scared or in pain.
I love you, Miss Chloe. Thank you for being such a wonderful part of my life. xoxo


1 Comments:
oooooh. . . that is so sad, it breaks my heart. saying goodbye to a pet is so hard. i am all choked up. *hug*
Post a Comment
<< Home