Saturday, October 01, 2005

A-ha!

So I've had a little epiphany... I've had this one before, but apparently I needed to have it again. This time with a little twist.

I've run the dating / finding a boyfriend scenario through my head for years. What am I looking for? How do I meet him? How have other couples met? How do I open myself up to a relationship? How do I ensure I'm a good partner? How can I make myself more approachable? More attractive? Blah, blah, blah...

The answer is always: Be yourself. Live your life as you want and be comfortable in who you are. Then the right person (or people) will be drawn to you.

I know this is true. It's what I tell all my friends when they ask those questions. Somehow when it applies to me, I think there must be something more -- some little twist I'm overlooking. Then I was reading a page in Everything Happens for a Reason. I'd reread it several times because I'd either fallen asleep or had to put the book down at that point. This morning, the words finally got through to me:

"I haven't really dared to imagine the possibility of being myself in a relationship. Maybe I'm even afraid. What a scary thought -- to just be who I am."

Though I give this lip service, I have to admit, when I look forward and see myself in a relationship, I'm thinner, better dressed, having a good hair day, my house is clean, I have a fabulous job and I cook more often. How many things are wrong with that statement?! When it comes down to it, I like me. I like me a lot! And lots of other people do too. How awful would it be to miss out on really being myself with someone who truly suits Me, because I'm too focussed on Seemingly Perfect Me meeting someone I've dreamt up to match her?

I'm pretty good at trusting that the right things will be brought to me. A great parking place? No problem. Discounted fabulous pants, plus a coupon for further discounts? Been there, done that. Got the $3 pants to show for it. I even found and bought my ideal car for much less than it was worth and then stayed for a 5-course meal with the woman selling the car. She still sends Christmas cards...

When it comes to smallish things, I trust and they come. But when I want / need something a little larger, I have been known to get in my own way. I suppose I figure what I'm looking for is just too big or too complicated. How could that possibly be brought to me just like I want / need? What I have to remind myself is that it can and it will. That is, if I'll get out of the way long enough to let it happen. Who knows, it might even be better than I could ever imagine!

And this concept of really just being who I am... That's kinda big. It seems obvious, but I find myself stumbling over it a little bit. I suppose I need to ask myself, is the real me thinner? Is she better dressed? Is her house cleaner? If so, I've got some work to do. And if not, perhaps it's time to let all those images go and Just. Be. Myself.

For all I know, there could be a great man (and a fabulous job) looking for Me, but they're still circling the block because I'm not really here yet...

Looks like it's time to make myself at home and let the lights shine bright! Then as my recent fortune said: Stop searching. Happiness will come to [me.]

Is it really that simple?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

I think it is that simple. Now really having faith in that and not trying to control it is my struggle.

When I read this post, in my head, I started singing:

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine. . ."

:) Sizz

October 1, 2005 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Amy S. Petrik said...

It should be THAT simple....but if it really WAS that simple, why are we all alone and still asking ourselves the very question?

October 1, 2005 at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home