Saturday, October 15, 2005

Procrastination at its finest

How is it that I've had nothing blogworthy to say for the last two weeks? That seems a bit bizarre to me. Part of that time my brother was in town and staying 3 feet from my computer. (We're close. We talk about everything that goes in here, he just doesn't know about the blog. No one does... Well, except you guys -- my new "friends." I'm hoping this can be my place to speak freely, but as I've heard from lots of other people, that only lasts so long... I suppose if I don't post, it won't last too long either.)

Today is gloomy and oh-so rainy. It's been this way for the past week and we're scheduled for a bit more. Bleh. I don't mind the rain so much if I'm inside and don't need to go anywhere. It's even better if I'm inside, have good company, and don't need to go anywhere. But the good company I'm thinking of is nowhere near here today... I have loads of work I could (and should!) be doing, but it's especially hard to get motivated on a day like this. Add a liberal dose of procrastination and that's about where I am. It wouldn't be so bad if this were the first or second day I've been like this, but I've given up counting. It seems a bit kinder that way. Realistically it hasn't been all that many. Since I haven't been in the 9 to 5 work mode for a while, I just have a more relaxed approach to time management. My life is abuzz with free time. I don't have to fight for it or savor it like I used to. (I'm not convinced that this is necessarily a good thing.)

But my time off is dwindling and I need to get out and find a job. It's dawned on me that I may need to curb my night owl ways... Oddly, a 2:00 am bedtime and a 9:30-10:00 am wakeup probably won't cut it with many employers. So I'm working on scaling the hours back, getting up and being coherent much earlier. Well, 8:30... But it's a start! Hey and I'm even doing it on Saturday. Bonus points there!

I'm about to head out to meet a painter friend of mine so we can measure a woman's bathroom for wallpaper. A few months ago, one of his clients asked if he could wallpaper and he said yes, though he'd never done it before. (!) I had free time and had wallpapered before (twice maybe?), so I offered to help him. Suddenly I became the wallpapering expert. We both have design backgrounds and enjoy working together, so now when anyone needs wallpaper hung, he calls to see if I can help. It's actually a nice break from things, and the cash isn't bad either. We have a 4-5 day job next week, and I'm guessing the one we'll see today will be a day or two.

Freelance clients are calling again -- I have one job now and a few due to arrive soon. My Mac needs a little rejigging and TLC. I'm hoping my IT friend will come help me. (Fingers crossed everyone, he's a busy guy! I'm going to ply him with cash and beer.)

And then there's the portfolio that's synonymous with that nasty P word: Procrastination! Must, must, MUST get that damn thing together. I think I make it worse than it has to be. Kind of like cough syrup I didn't want to swallow as a kid, so I kept it in my mouth way too long (and frankly tasted much more of it than I would have if I'd just swallowed it already.) I did the same thing with my resume, and in the end it came together much better (and easier) than I ever imagined. What is my problem?? Just do the damn work and be done with it! Jesus, girl!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian J. Hong said...

Don't worry about it being worth blogging about, just do it if you want to. : ) It's for you after all.

Good luck on your portfolio!

December 7, 2005 at 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home