Monday, April 07, 2008

Of hikes and kisses


So 10 minutes after I hung up with Taunia, I got a call from R, inviting me to come visit him a couple hours away. I took a few minutes to think about it and decided it sounded like fun. I arrived a little after 5 to a wonderful steak dinner... Mmm. We decided to "go for a walk" afterward and took a windy little road out to NY. The area was so relaxing and picturesque... I loved just taking in all the details.

We parked the car and began our "walk" UP. The sign said .75 mi, but it felt like more... It was absolutely gorgeous, and I especially enjoyed hearing the water flow by. Unfortunately, I haven't been active in ages and I'm still getting over a helluva cold, so I was huffin' and puffin' after just a bit of exertion. Way to impress a date, huh?

I did my best to keep up my pace and quiet my breathing, but it was so damn obvious I was feeling it. R was very sweet and supportive -- checking in, stopping from time to time, and distracting/encouraging me with kisses. Fortunately, there was a gorgeous waterfall at the top of the trail and we relaxed there a bit before heading down.

While I was a bit embarrassed by my performance, it felt really good to be out, active, and in such good/supportive company. I was especially proud of myself for acknowledging my discomfort, but then letting it go, reminding myself that I have to start somewhere, and I'd actually started! Now I just need to keep it up!

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrots, Anyone? said...

wow! Sounds like such a fun date! Yay to you for toughing through the hike - hiking is no small feat - short distances are crazy long! keep us posted.

April 8, 2008 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Taunia said...

I'm proud of you for hiking, mama! I would have said HELL NO. lol Good for you for pushing through....although I'm sure that all the pretty nature-type things around you helped. :)

April 10, 2008 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger susan karim said...

wowee!
i wanna hear more about the kisses!

April 13, 2008 at 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home